Saturday, March 28, 2009

Harvesting and starting hop rhizomes

Last weekend I harvested a few rhizomes from my hop plants as well as started a few others I ordered. Here's a step by step for you.

If you take a look at the end of my trowel you may be able to see what looks like a bit of dead bine. You may also see some small whitish buds where the bine hits the ground. That's the new growth. What you do is grab hold of the dead bine and gently pull up.

Here's what you get when you pull it up - a nice 8 inch rhizome! The base is attached to the main crown of the plant. Since I'm harvesting with the intent of keeping the plant from spreading too much as well as getting a few rhizomes to give away I'll just cut this at the ground.
Here's what you get - a nice chunk of Fuggle's ready to plant. But not so fast my friend! First I'll trim of the dead stuff. Also, I dont want to trim the fine hairy roots. They'll get the plants off to a good start.

Here you see it in it's next resting place, a pot. This is not the permanent home, just something temporary until I find a new owner. You'll notice it's planted horizontaly. I figure this is how it was growing on the original plant so why change it. Some folks will plant vertically with the new growth pointing up. I suppose it doesn't matter.


On to the next plant - My East Kent Goldings. I am attempting to remove the entire plant as I already have 2 and need the room for others. Here's one of the rhizomes I pulled up - it's about 18 inches long, I should get a few out of this one.

Here's a close up of the rhizome. Look at all the new shoots ready to grow. Also take note of the fine roots. Getting these into the soil before they dry out is key to getting a good start.

Here's some more of the Goldings. Look how big those are! I planted these last year when I moved the plant. The rhizome was the size of the one above. Not bad for one year of growth.

Here's a look at that sucker while it was still in the ground.

And after a little trimming. BTW - those blocks are 6 inches wide so that should give you an idea of how big they are. To think, the original rhizome I ordered about 7 years ago was the size of a golf pencil. I think I gave away 20 rhizomes this size last year.

Lastly, here are my new plants. Zues, Mt Hood & Centennial. I am temporarily strating them in pots and will plant them after they get a good growth goingt. This way if we get a cold wet patch like last year I can move them into the garage for a day or two if needed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiya! Fascinating.....i want to grow hops myself and could one of your cuttings a new home, but sadly I am in England.

Matt said...

I'm sure if you look around you will find some hops in England.

Keith said...

Do you have any extra EKG rhizomes? I have some extra Cascades if you are interested in a swap..

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this info. Most of the stuff online forgets to talk about hop rhizome division. Cheers!

Unknown said...

I ordered about 4-5 Oregon Willamette Valley hops a couple of years ago and wanted to see how they would fair in northern Minnesota. A couple years later, I have given away several cuttings, and I have a huge hop growing over an arbor in my front yard. Love them! Ornamental use, as I am not a brewer. Where would I advertise that I have hops for sale in the fall?

Unknown said...

We are actively improving our capabilities and capacity through new expansions in BOC Sciences’s global business. Timsaponin C