Friday, March 20, 2009

TOMATO SEEDS STARTED

I started the seeds this evening. The only real difference between previous years is that I used black plastic 4 cell planters. I just had them and decided to use them up. This year I did not go and buy many new seeds. Trying to be economical and use what I have. For the most part, it's the same as last year:

Pineapple - Territorial
Beam's Yellow Pear - Seed Savers - Old Standby
Brandywine (Sudduth's) - Seed Savers
Hillbilly Potato Leaf - Seed Savers
German Pink - Seed Savers
Gold Medal - Not Sure where I got this
Federle - Seed Savers - did great last year - large fruit
Old German - Terrotorial -
Big Mama Hybrid - Burpee - A hybrid paste type. Just decided to try something different.

Last year was not a great year for the tomatoes. A long cold wet spring caused all kinds of problems. The Verticillium Wilt got into most of them before I could get good strong development. The Federle and German Pink did well. This year I will do a better job of mulching.

No comments: