Saturday, March 21, 2009

PEPPER SEEDS STARTED


I got up this morning ans started the peppers. Maybe i should have done this last week but it's noting to worry about - I'll still have plenty at the end of the season. I planted 2 each of the sweet peppers. I'll give half to my mom for her garden. I followed the same process as usual. Here's what I planted:

Sweet Peppers:
Marconi Hybrid - Park's
Super Heavyweight Hybrid - Gurneys
Golden Star Hybrid - Territorial
Hybrid Colossal - Gurney's
They're all supposed to be big blocky bells. We'll see. I usually do a fair job with peppers. They don't have a lot of problems to deal with like tomatoes. You just want to watch that you don't over fertilize.

Hot Peppers:
Early Jalapeno - Earl May - Basic Jalapeno
Fish - Seed Savers - African American Heirloom with variegated foliage and striped fruits.
Ancho Gigantea - Seed Savers - Grown for the last few years
Senorita Hybrid - Territorial - Jalapeno
Holy Mole Hybrid - Territorial - When ripe they are brown
Cubanelle - Not really a hot pepper but I wanted this type for cooking
Red & Orange Habanero - Lake Valley Seed - Small plants with super hot fruits
Red & Orange Jamaican Hot - Lake Valley Seed - Same as the Hab's. These last two were from a seed pack I dug from the archives. I haven't grown either for a few years. They are small plants but the fruits are reall neat looking and hotter than the surface of the sun!

I'm one of those gardeners that grows just one plant of each variety. I don't have the space and I don't need that many vegetables. We like to eat the stuff fresh from the garden. You just cant beat that.

3 comments:

brooke said...

I'm happy to have found your blog, it looks like we're starting planting around the same time. Even better, I see you're planting Territorial's Golden Star Hybrid... I'm a complete and utter novice, and I've read that pepper seeds can be difficult to germinate. Right now I've got them in a 6" round plastic pot with Territorial's seedling soil. I've been misting it with water, and I just started putting a heating mat under it for a few hours a day. Any other tips would be GREATLY appreciated. :-)

Matt said...

Thanks for looking.

Be patient with your pepper seeds. Mine usually take almost 2 weeks to germinate. I just planted them a week ago and there are no signs of seedlings. I keep heat under mine 24-7 until all the plants are going, then I turn it off. I also keep them under those clear plastic domes (The seed starting things you see at the garden centers) until I see plants. What you're doing sounds like it will work fine. Just be careful about getting them too damp after the seedlings emerge. Let me know if you've got questions and I'll help out where I can.

brooke said...

Thanks for the tips! I'll keep checking your blog, it looks like you've got a lot growing.