Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Beam's Yellow Pear

Beams' Yellow Pear from Seed Savers Exchange. This is, without a doubt, the most vigorous plant of my 10 tomatoes. It's pushing 6 feet tall and has hundreds of fruit throughout the plant. For some reason I have 2 of them. One was intended for my mom but something got mixed up. There are at least a dozen fruit clusters just like this one on each plant. I don't know what I'll do with all the fruit, but that is a good problem to have!

I have two other plants I cannot ID. I believe one is a Big Rainbow, or maybe a Brandywine...or maybe an Amana Orange...or maybe. I'll have to keep better records next year. What happened was I started a few extras with the intention of giving them to my mom. She informed me she only wanted a couple of plants so I ended up with a couple extra. I didn't write down what varieties I planted and ended up with a couple of unknowns...Oh well...they are doing fine. It looks like I am on my way to a great tomato crop this year.

Happy Fourth of July!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started 6 Beam's Yellow Pear tomatoes... They are for personal use. Is this way too many? Did you try to can any?

Thanks!!!

Matt said...

You will have a LOT of tomatoes! I didn't can any but I'm sure you could. I usually plant just one and that's enough for the two of us.