Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Turning soil

Today I turned the soil on my garden beds. I didn't do this last fall so I had to clear up some plant debris. When you turn your soil in the fall the freezing and thawing break it down so that all you need to do is rake it and plant. That may be oversimplified but that's pretty darned close to the truth. Turning in the spring has no real negative problems other than the soil has had a few months to compact a bit. That's not a huge issue. My two garden beds are, 16 foot by 4 foot raised beds. You'll see pictures later. It takes me about 30-45 minutes to turn the both by hand with a garden fork. That's about the hardest physical work involved in the garden. I have built up the soil quality and height by adding organic matter, soil, sand; just about anything I can get my hands on. I have a large compost bin next to the beds and I get one good batch a year. I think I would get more if i spent some time and broke up the items before i put them in but I'm in no hurry. Since I wont be planting tomatoes or peppers for a good month or so i am not going to smooth one of the beds. I'll let nature do that. the other bed will get planted with spinach, chard, onions and other things in another day or so. I'll rake it then. Now is a dangerous time. The weather seems nice but our last frost date wont pass until May 15th or so. Last year we had a frost on the 13th. I had planted my tomatoes a few days before and left for vacation. I lost all but 3 plants. this year I will remember to cover them...

No comments: