Wednesday, February 18, 2009

DIY CIP - cheap and easy

One of the other things I spend my time and money on is homebrewing beer. You may have guessed this by the hops I grow. After my last brew day I had a bunch of stuff to clean, as always, and I wanted to just wait and do it later. I had seen pictures of Clean In Place devices and thought that would be pretty neat to have, but with budgets being tight, I figured that would be something I can do without. After cleaning a keg the other day I realized I had nearly everything I needed to cobble together a cheap and easy CIP. The only thing I purchased was a riser for a sprinkler - for $1.50 on a clearance rack.

Here are the basic parts: Pond Pump with riser attached, large tub, milk crate. I use the pond pump for a recirculating chiller. I had the large tub that I used for soaking bottles and general cleaning or storage. The milk crate? Who doesn't have a few of these around the house.

Here's how I use it: I fill the tub with 5-6 gallons of hot water and my favorite cleaner (Oxyclean, PBW, One Step or whatever I have on hand). I place the pond pump in the middle of the of the tub. I place the crate over the pump, sliding the riser through the bottom. I then place the item being cleaned - be it a bucket, carboy, or keg - over the riser. Plug in the pump and let it go for 10-20 minutes. It's clean as a whistle.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is exactly what I need. I hate clean up.

Matt said...

I think I'll cut a hole in the milk crate so I can put a carboy on it without worrying about it falling over - it works great for kegs as is.

Anonymous said...

For a carboy I think if you used a drying stand it would work just as well without having to cut the crate. Just pick up the carboy and drying stand as one when done cleaning and set it off to dry. Sounds easy and simple.