Saturday, May 10, 2008

Weekly Hop Update

Here it is a week later and there is a lot of growth to report. Overall, the plants I moved are all doing great, while the rhizomes I planted are all struggling. I'm not worried about them because I know they will pull through. You'll see what I mean later. The first picture shows the overall view of the hop yard. The Fuggles is at the bottom of the picture followed by Cascade, Goldings, Goldings, Cascade, Magnum, Nugget.

Here is the Fuggles. It's growing like crazy. I expect it will grow a good foot or so a week.

Next is the Goldings. I had to help the shoots get over to the trellis but once I did they took over from there.


The Return Of The Cascade! Last week the frost got the only growing shoot. I gently dug it up and found it was getting ready to push up another one, so I replanted it. Yesterday it popped through the soil. Now that it has a leaf out it will do just fine.Next is another Goldings. I had so many extra Rhizomes that I felt I should plant one more. This one sprouted in a week and is now doing fine.

Here is the Magnum. I really think the frost last week put a dent in this one. There was a third shoot that has died back. The small one on the left has stopped and the big one on the right has slowed to a crawl compared to the rest of the plants. A little warm weather should get this one going again.


Here is the Nuggett. It seems to be enjoying it's new home. I came home one evening and all the bines had started wrapping around the string. No help from me. It's already bigger around than it ever was in it's old spot. I've got another cascade that just seem to be taking it's own sweet time. I dug it up earlier in the week and there are shoots ready to pop up. We'll see if this is the week it decides to join the others.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i am looking for some fuggle and east kent rhizomes. do you sell any?

llori said...

hi Matt - really like your blog.
I am totally new at growing hops, and just started with some transplanted hops plants this spring. how can I best determine what kinds of hops I have? mine are all 3-lobed, but some plants seem to have darker green and more pointed leaves and the same plant has medium green rounded leaves??? am in Wisconsin and fortunately my yard is above water - hope your garden is, too.

Matt said...

Sorry I haven't updated recently. All this rain has created a weedy problem. I can't seen to get ahead of them. I have no idea how to tell the difference between hops just by looking at the leaves.